While the warm, relaxing days of summer are a welcome reprieve from its counterbalance, the colder seasons, most of us are relieved by the end of the heat of summer for fall to begin. Back to school and cooler mornings remind us of winter’s certainty motivating us to refocus our efforts toward new or unfinished projects – many of which were left behind in summer’s busy schedule.
Autumn is the time of the year that is balancing light and dark in equal proportions. So also this is a time of balance for us as well. The scales start tipping towards equilibrium. While many of us call balance into our lives, it is often misunderstood that at first, while the scale is tipping, a disturbance of energy throws off the existing balance that we have experienced. A short transition time can bring in its own chaos, while the new balance is recovered. Autumns’ strength provides us with insight, clarity and, most of all, structure. Dianne M Connelly, author of the classic book, called “Traditional Acupuncture,” shares “that by instinct we flow with the patterns found in nature and that fall is associated with the element of metal.” While many of us think of metal as cold and hard, it is not its beginning state. It is more like the salt of the earth contained in the minerals of the earth. Salts and minerals provide substance and richness to the soil. Some of these minerals are for structural strength some providing fuel for heat and others are gems of great beauty. The season of autumn is also the time of harvesting, a time to prepare for winter and to pull one’s resources together and prepare to let go of the unwanted or no longer needed items.
What can you do to join in the natural rhythm of this season, both internally and externally? Take time to re-focus and gather the energy it will take to move into winter’s decline. Spend some quiet time refocusing on the intention behind your activities and reassess how your activities fit into your overall goals. Re-write your goals on several pieces of paper; place them around the mirror in the bathroom, in your purse or wallet, or on your refrigerator – anywhere you can remind yourself of what is important to focus on. Celebrate your achievements and harvest what you have accomplished. Have a harvest party with your favorite friends – have them bring an item from their gardens and make vegetable soup to share on a cooler October day.
Autumn’s Harmony Hacks for Home &Life-The Season of Joy
- Bring items from out in the yard closer towards the center of the home or store them away.
- If you have children, it is a great time to reorganize their room and desk area to help with concentration and focus.
- Add the metal element in the home through statues, vases, clocks, even a rock near your desk, to help access the energy of this element. This will help with focus, as you dive into finishing your projects and celebrate as you finish each one of them. Every accomplishment, however small or huge is a win so let your heart be filled with joy as you cross each one off your list.
- If you suffer a bit of a letdown even depression at this time, try this cure. Fill a round vase made from metal with autumn flowers allowing them to go through all the stages from life to death by letting their colors fade as they wilt and die. It will serves as a visual reminder that autumn is about grace when we let go. Endings always bring new beginnings, find joy and comfort in the cycle of life instead of resisting.
- Look to nature for color inspirations. Add yellow, red and orange hues in floral arrangements and other items. I love yellow mums and sunflowers. Yellow is a happy color and adding it is sure to add some sunshine and joy into your home. Appreciate the harvest time by having a small gathering of friends and/or family to celebrate the bounty of the season.
Remember to take time to re- focus and celebrate this harvest time. Enjoy the brilliant show of fall colors as you say goodbye to the summer and fill your heart with the feeling of this season which is joy.